ABOUT US

HISTORY OF SAINT MARY’S BAPTIST CHURCH

The Mission was organized at 1701 Seaton Street, NW by Reverend Dr. Louis Allen McCombs, our Organizer on Monday, May 16, 1950.  On Saturday, November 3, 1950, fifty-seven churches recognized Saint Mary’s as a regular Baptist Church.

In September 1952, Reverend McCombs encouraged the members to consider purchasing a place they could call their own.  The membership agreed – they purchased a two-story dwelling located at 3900 Kansas Avenue, NW. 

On Sunday, April 18, 1971, another chapter in the history of Saint Mary’s was realized.  The members bade farewell to the Kansas Avenue home and journeyed to its present location,  8008 Eastern Avenue, NW.  In less than five years, the members were blessed to celebrate the Silver Anniversary of the Church and of Pastor McCombs by “burning the mortgage” in October 1975.

Reverend McCombs delivered his final sermon, “The Awareness of the Living Christ”,

Revelation 1:17-18, on Sunday, June 12, 1983 at the 11:00 AM Worship Service.  He was called from labor to reward on October 11, 1983.

Reverend Dr. Darryle R. Crump was elected as Interim Pastor in December 1983.  On June 18, 1984, Reverend Crump was appointed to be the Pastor of Saint Mary’s Baptist Church.

From 1984 – Present, Pastor Crump has introduced many new Ministries to Saint  Mary’s.

  • In 2009 – 2010, many improvements were made to the church.  Outside – new windows, aluminum siding, and new steps leading to the parking lot. Inside – installation of an elevator, several storage rooms, new restrooms (including a unisex, handicap restroom).
  • In 2012, Reverend Shermaine Mounoubai stepped down from her position as Director of Christian Education.  Reverend Martha Jones moved out of the area and is no longer chairing the Visitation Ministry.  Reverend Ishmael Mitchell resigned his position as Youth Minister. These positions have since been filled by qualified laypersons in the congregation.

We are continually making every effort to live up to the motto of our church which was introduced by Reverend Dr. Louis A. McCombs ~~ “The Church Where Everybody is Somebody and Jesus Christ is Lord.”

Praise Be to God, Pastor Crump has been blessed with a committed Ministerial Team – Reverend Kendrick Anderson, Director, Men’s Ministry; Reverend Shermaine Mounoubai, Director, Christian Education Ministry and Reverend Dr. Martha E. Jones.

The Lord has blessed us abundantly.  With His continuous help, we are looking forward to more and greater blessings as we are divinely inspired to realize that “Christianity” is not a method.  It is a life, a communion with God, a calm and deep enthusiasm, a love which radiates, a force which acts, a happiness which overflows.